Thursday, June 7, 2012

Mason's Birth Story: Part I

After having our first induction date cancelled last minute I was freaking out about when it could be rescheduled. I was worrying about how we would get the doctor and nurses we wanted lined up so perfectly for a second time and of course about Mason's safety.

We were rescheduled to Saturday, April 21, 2012. The plan was to arrive at 8pm just in time for Nurse D to start her shift with us. The other hope was that by coming in at night we had a smaller chance of being rescheduled on again!

We were given the best gift because the second nurse we had with Addi who no longer works at this hospital was in town and offered to come be our Doula. Our doctor was not the on-call doctor, but said he would come in for us so that was a huge relief. All three were going to be there for us...we actually pulled off the "dream team".

Saturday, Brian had to work and I had planned to get a lot done around the house. I pretty much did nothing because there was just so much on my mind. I went out with my mom for a bit and then came home and tried to take a nap. Brian got home form work and we just kind of sat together trying to take in what this night could mean for us. I made the call to Labor and Delivery to make sure we were still "on" and to my surprise we were! They said it would be okay to eat first so Brian and I went out for out "last meal". We decided to try a new place called "Mac and More", it seemed fitting for our "Mac".

The tables are chalk boards so this is what Brian wrote

I think I had like 6 bites...nervous!










It was hard to eat because so much was on my mind, I just couldn't fully comprehend that this was real and happening. We pulled into the hospital and both felt nervous and sick to our stomachs. Brian didn't even want to unload all of our things from the car "just in case". We walked into the hospital and sat down at the sign in desk. The lady made the comment that this must not be our first baby because we were "so calm". Psh as if she had any clue how I was feeling on the inside! But she was right, this was not our first baby.

It took almost a half hour to get signed in because of this new computer system the hospital has. When we were finally let back into L&D, we both took a big breath in and walked through those doors hand in hand. Our hearts were pounding, minds racing, but we were doing this and we were doing it together. We were given a room we had never been in before, which we were okay with. As we got closer to the nurses station we saw our Doula and were able to give her the biggest hug. The last time I hugged her was the day she took Addi away for the very last time. My trust in her is too high for words. Before we were even done hugging out came nurse D. More hugging. In that moment my anxiety was gone and I felt like we were in the very best hands...Mason was in the very best of hands and things were going to be okay this time.

We walked into our room, the four of us and there were flame less candles all around, birthday streamers and a present for Mason. They said they were ready to have a birthday party and it was so beautiful, so peaceful, so what I needed.
You can't really tell how cute it was by the pictures, but it was!

This was a beautiful site...we didn't have a need for this last time :(

I changed into the hospital gown and was not nearly as freaked out as I thought I would be. It turned out that I wasn't dilated as much as they thought so we started with misoprostol. Basically a pill was inserted in my throat uterus to help soften and get things going. We basically just slept in the hospital that night, but it was good. I hated having Brian be on the couch and half the room away from me, but it was great to know that Mason was being monitored and we were so close.

The next morning I got up and curled up with Brian on the couch. I just needed to be close to him. When our nurse came in she had a plan of action. I was dilated to a 4. We started with the pitocin about 8am and around 10am my doctor arrived to break my water. I don't remember how it felt when it was broken with Addi, but this time I was amazed at how much there really was. Everything was calm and easy. Seeing my doctor just made me feel so at ease.

My plan was to go as long as possible without the epidural because I didn't want to slow my labor down. What I didn't realize was that once my water was broken my contractions would go from 0 to 60. I made it about 45 minutes before I was begging for the epidural. Not my best in the holding out category, but the contractions were coupling and when you have them back to back like that, there is no time to recover before the next one hits. As soon as I got my epidural I expected to feel better, but much like last time it was not working on my left side.
Didn't get a picture when they were at their worst, but you get it. (Mine was the middle section).
After waiting to see if it would kick in, the anesthesiologist came back with some sort of super shot that made all the pain go away (bless him). When I was checked after that I was at 8cm! We had no idea how close I was. Brian was frantically calling our family to come to the hospital. We had asked them to wait at home so we wouldn't have an entourage, but we had no idea how fast things would go. Soon after that I was at a 9, but in no pain!

Love me some epidural!
I had been wanting the delivery to be just for Brian and I, but at the last minute we asked my mom and sister to stay. I started pushing and then it was decided that I should stop because Mason was turned in a weird angle and we needed him to move. So they put me in a weird position and had me wait a half hour. I didn't feel like it was time yet so I wasn't surprised for this set back. We tried again and again they stopped me to re-arrange me and leave me for some time. Everyone went on a lunch break, which I thought was pretty funny. I had in my head that Mason wouldn't be born until later that evening so an afternoon baby didn't seem possible to me anyways!

Since we are stuck here let's pose for pictures...oh jeez! (My parents with us) Doo doo doo waiting, waiting, waiting.

When everyone came back from lunch they seemed a little more serious and once I saw our doctor putting on all the gear it occurred to me that this was really happening!

Pushing this time was different and we were all more serious about it. Brian was amazing just like last time. So encouraging and right there with each pushing holding me up and coaching me.
I'm thinking...is this really happening?!?

And then at 2:51pm after approximately 5 hours of active labor he was here...ALIVE! His cry was the best noise I have ever heard.
Our first look at each other
Sweet relief (side note: my pillow case was made by a friend and has flip flops on it).

And then there were four (I love that you can see Brian is wearing his Addison bracelet in this picture).
I really thought the second Mason was born I would be a bawling mess, but because of our "dream team" I was calm. I knew we had done everything we could to insure Mason would be here safely and even if he wasn't these people would take care of all of us.

When Mason was placed on my stomach it took just a moment for him to cry, but when he did it was everything I was waiting for. I couldn't believe that he was here, alive and safe. I was able to have him on my chest for the recommended two hours of bonding and then nursing. I felt bad Brian couldn't hold him right away, but I felt so lucky in that moment. I didn't just get a living baby, but I got the ideal birthing scenario. I know not everyone gets that and I was grateful for it all, the easy/fast birth, complication free, our medical staff we wanted, my family and a healthy baby who never spent a moment in the NICU. I was/am completely aware and grateful for each aspect.

I just stared into his eyes...his wide open and bright blue eyes. Listening to his cry and soaking it all in. I was in such shock. I didn't expect things to go so fast and I didn't expect things to go so smoothly...surely something would go wrong right?!?

I know the look on my face was not what people were expecting, but I just couldn't comprehend that things went okay, great even. Had Addison been there it would have been perfect, but it was as "perfect" as it gets and I am grateful.

I started this post only 6 days after Mason was born and I am just getting around to finish it so I between that and already being super long I will write more later, but I needed to get back this part finished first.


12 comments:

  1. :) glad to read about his birth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Glad to hear you had a smooth birth. Welcome to the world baby Mason :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. so so happy for you. I am glad you were able to feel a little bit of peace when you were in labor and that everything went smoothly. So wish Addison was there to share in your joy, but it sounds like you and Mason were surrounded by everyone who loved you and Addison. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I am so glad it went so smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful to hear how he arrived safely... thinking of you all xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great story! I'm bummed most of the pics aren't showing for me. I think it's a blogspot issue cause it happened on someone else's blog. So good to hear you had an ideal experience this time around and I too love that the Addi bracelet is showing, cute. I love that he got to go straight onto your belly after he was born. That's the ONE thing that didn't happen for us with Emily. With the complications I had from my stroke during Emily's pregnancy, (and maybe given Addi's birth) they wanted to take Emily straight over to the baby bed and let a NICU team look at her. They didn't warn me they were doing that so I thought something was wrong cause they were so serious looking at her. I kept asking if she was ok and they were telling me she was perfect and I think I finally told them I thought they were lying to me, lol. Even my husband went over and looked at her and came back to tell me she was fine but I don't think I believed him even. It does make me sad I didn't hold her until she was a few minutes old cause Addi was put on my belly right away, so I think I wanted the same with Emily and just got caught up in the moment and didn't speak up. We made no sort of birth plan for Emily because, like you, we were too afraid to "plan". And it's funny you mention about your husband leaving stuff in the car "just in case", we did that too. I didn't act how I thought I would either with my 2nd. I thought I'd be bawling and very emotional (Husband was a little more emotional which was surprising and funny!). But everyone kept laughing at me cause once Em was in my arms I had perma-grin. Everyone was afraid to come in the room thinking I'd be emotional but they all laughed when they walked in and saw me all smiling and giddy. I think just like we couldn't prepare ourselves for the emotions from our losses, we also can't prepare ourselves for our reaction to meeting our rainbow baby. I'm so happy for you guys and can't wait to see more of MAC!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so beautiful. This is how I wish my birth had played out, but I'm at peace with it now, as I got the best prize, the happy, screaming, live babies in the end. Your story brought such a huge smile to my face and I loved the pics.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the last picture of Brian kissing you, and you kissing Mason - so sweet. Glad it was everything you hoped for and as you mentioned, as "perfect" as it could have been

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Brian's face as you're pushing (with the "is this really happening?" photo), he looks so proud and determined! :)

    I'm glad your dream team worked out the way you had wanted. I'm so glad Mason is here!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so happy to read this and know how well it all went for you guys :) The pictures are wonderful, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations. Big tears here. As perfect as it can get--you are absolutely right.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm late commenting because I've been reading around the "Right Where I Am" posts but I'm glad to have made it at last.

    What a lovely birth for you and for Mac. I love that they had prepared your room for a birthday party. That is so precious.

    ReplyDelete