Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Squeezing it all in this month

While the nursery, guest room and baby shower seem to be to hard to handle, there are SOME things I have been able to accomplish.

1. Sign up for childbirth classes

2. Sign up for camera classes

3. Schedule a hair cut

4. Continue support group meetings

5. Two different grandparents in the hospital for surgery stays = a granddaughter aka me visit for each of those days.

6. Attempt to go to/complete the items listed above

Looking at this month on the calendar is a little overwhelming. There is something planned for 9 out of 22 week nights and 17 days out of 31 there is something going on. It looks like the high lighter threw up all over my calender! Oh and some days have double bookings. I guess this is what they call cramming it all in at the last minute.

First on the list, childbirth classes. There are 4 different classes + 1 for breastfeeding + 1 for infant CPR=6 total. This one still stuns me that I did this to myself (and to Brian). Do we need help on how to birth a child, nope. Been there done that. The reason I am subjecting ourselves to this torture of a room full of ignorant/happy pregnant couples is to possibly make a connection like we did the first time. I really want to be able to have a couple or two outside my normal group of friends to have play dates with. Something we missed out on with Addison and I don't want to miss out on it again.

I'm nervous about a lot of things, but I keep thinking it COULD be worth it. We could meet some great couples like we did the first time (not as cool, but somewhere close). My fears include being asked who has additional children. I can't NOT raise my hand, but at the same time this is not the place to drop our bomb. Normally I am all about just saying it no matter what, but in this case where we are specifically going to try and fit in, I shouldn't ruin our chances by making us the lepers of the group right off the bat. Still how do I deal with that...I guess I just keep hoping it doesn't come up.

Then there is the part where I avoid pregnant chicks...and I am putting myself right inside the shark tank! This is where you can tell I have obviously lost my mind because I can't possible be in the right state of mind to do this to myself. I can also almost guarantee we won't be making friends with anyone having a girl. That I can't do. No girls allowed...only boys. Anyways I am super anxious about this class, but I won't know till I go. I suppose if it is beyond what I can handle, we can leave and never go back. There, problem solved...kinda.

2. We bought this fancy Nikon camera when we were ttc Addison. It came with 4 classes on how to use it. We use it a lot, but other than point, click and shoot, I really have no idea what it is capable of. I figure there is no time like now than to learn how to use it. If we ever do bring a baby home you know we will be taking a serious amount of pictures. Plus the classes are free (with the purchase) and once Mason is here (please oh please) our evenings will be devoted to him. I looked up the class schedule and finally made the call to secure our spots...wish I would have done this months/years ago! So lets do this!

3. My hair has gotten really long. Almost too long for my liking (and I am a fan of long hair). I have said since Addison was born that I wanted to donate it to Locks of Love. I was going to cut it when I got pregnant for the second time, but I chickened out. I figured that could somehow jinx us. So here it is almost time for Mason to come and still no hair cut. My family really likes it and keeps telling me not to, but here is the thing...the hair that is "on the chopping block" is hair I grew while pregnant with Addison. This was by far the happiest time in my life and I would love for it to make someone else happy too. It just feels like one more thing I can "pay forward". So today I called and made the appointment. My appointment day just happens to be the day I found out I was pregnant with Addison 2 years ago. That day seems right, don't you think?!?

4. Support group meetings. These are still a big part of my life. I didn't think I would still need them as much after the first year and maybe I don't, but now we have made friends and they really do help. We missed last week's meeting and I really feel bummed about it. There are 3 meetings a month, all different places and mostly different people. They all offer their own support. While part of me feels weird about still going to so many, so often, the other part of me feels like this is a constant in our lives that I need. They help so I continue to make them a priority.

5. Grandparent no. 1 out of surgery this morning (hip surgery) so far all is well. Grandparent no. 2 surgery on Thursday. I always try and visit as often as I can, but when they are in the hospital I make the effort to go each day. They would do it for me, it's the least I can do for them.

So there's my list for this month. I would take a picture of my overly highlighted calender, but I probably shouldn't post on line exactly which nights I won't be home...although I do have an excellent security team in place aka 3 big dogs. Still better not. Next month will hopefully be the month we meet our (living?healthy?) son. That doesn't seems possible...good thing we are so busy this month, I need the distraction!

8 comments:

  1. Glad you have got a lot to keep you busy - it will help pass the time. I think if the question of other children comes up, it's ok to say right away that you have another, but she passed away. The people who AREN'T scared off and are kind to you are the ones you'd want to be friends with anyway. It could be a good way to gauge who is worth befriending and who isn't. But I know that's a tough situation and it's always hard to handle, so I hope it goes as well as it can.

    Hope the surgery and recovery goes well for your grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found that planning the weeks prior to birth so much easier. I needed to see a full calendar otherwise I'd drive myself crazy.

    I was so busy I didn't have time to freak out. It was a good thing. I love your #3 about the hair. Strange how we hold something close to our hearts as silly as hair-- but I am totally with you. I donated my Andrew hair and wanted to wait until I was pg again to do so-- to connect my boys. I was pregnant again and chopped it. It was so nice to donate that to better someone else's life. Especially if that life was a child. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so in my heart every day, girlfriend! I like B's comment about being so busy she didn't have time to freak. Yay, that!! ^^

    I read another post about that Sip 'n' See idea in lieu of a baby shower...it's really growing on me, and I'm not even pregnant again yet! So many things about a shower make me want to vomit...and really, who is it about? It should be about YOU and what makes you comfortable, not about everyone else getting to participate. Why can't they participate AFTER Mason's (or my baby's) born? I'm going to chew on this one awhile, I think. Not sayin' folks couldn't buy something off a registry and send it ahead, but oh, doting on a pregnant belly when the contents of the mother's heart are in such turmoil? Nah.

    I love the idea of donating your hair, and what that represents. I can't wait to see you with shorter
    hair...I've only known you with all that length!

    Hope your grandparents are ok and recover smoothly...and hope to see you Thursday (fingers crossed)...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of you and your grandparents. Send my love to the fam. Also, I have a fancy camera too so we should learn to take great pics together! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wanted to pop by and let you know I am thinking of you. I think it's good to keep busy as much as you can. Hang in there, sweetie. You are doing great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keeping busy is definitely the way to go...Awesome on the hair donation.I did it right before i got pregnant with Logan and I will be doing it again very shortly...such a great cause

    So happy the days keep moving for you and praying your grandparents have a quick recovery!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can I just say that I'm worn out just thinking of your schedule! :) Just before Addalee was born, being busy was the BEST thing for me. If I had something to do, I wasn't taking the time to panic, so I think it's great that you're getting so much done.

    I'm proud of you for donating your hair. That's something that I've thrown around too, but have never worked up the nerve to do it. I think I'm scared that it'll have to be cut too short (and I'm not pretty with short hair).

    I like Caroline's thought on the "other children" question. If you say that you have another child that passed away, it isn't dropping the scary stillbirth bomb, but it also isn't lying about your situation. It'll still scare off some people, but they're dummies and you don't need them anyway! ;)

    Thinking and praying for you and your grandparents!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the idea of donating your hair in memory of Addison to Locks of Love. I have always wanted to do that.

    You are brave for attending the childbirth classes. In a way I am happy to be having a c-section, those classes would seem scarier than my breastfeeding one was.

    ReplyDelete