Saturday, March 24, 2012

One thing after another

*I wanted to start this post off by saying that this morning things feel good, I am still pregnant and Mason is kicking and squirming just as he should, but yesterday/last night had me scared out of my mind, here's why:

The day started off like any normal day. I had my second NST that afternoon and this time Brian was able to come with me. It didn't feel nearly as scary or as hard as the first one. After the nurse got me
all hooked up and left the room Brian was like "that's it" "this is all you have to do" I think he expected the test to be a bigger one than just being strapped to a monitor. I was feeling bad for making him come with me because yes, this is all it is. I couldn't tell if I was more relaxed because I had already gotten the first one over with, because it was in a different room or because Brian was there. Either way I felt silly for dragging Brian out.

The test is supposed to last 20 minutes, but I thought the nurse forgot about us because I was hooked up for almost 50 minutes! Apparently the doctor who had to look over the results was busy with a patient so we REALLY had to wait. There was a couple that came in after us and they got to leave before us, which I was super irritated about. Finally a different nurse came into our room and said they had a few concerns with our test...oh, why didn't I figure that out on my own!?!? That's why it was taking SO long. She tried to explain that they weren't "really" concerned, but because of my history they weren't taking any chances...I felt like she was trying to downplay things as to not freak me out.

The nurse told us that we would need and ultrasound and because their tech was off for the day we would need to go to the hospital to get it...oh God...not the hospital! That seemed WAY too scary. Brian asked if their tech had already left and if she was still there to let her know who was here and see if she would stay late (he is so smart)! The nurse caught her and when she found out it was us she took us right back (I guess there is a small bright side to being so well known).

Mason passed the ultrasound test right away. She was really pleased...as were we on MULTIPLE levels. Almost 2 hours later we finally left our 20 minute appointment...I am just SO thankful Brian was with me and everything turned out okay, but still that was WAY more excitement than I needed.

We went to Costco afterwards to grab a few things. Including a piece of furniture I want to put in the guest room when it becomes the "play room" that has a lot of easy access storage. During the last week or so I have been having braxton hicks contractions. I have been putting them in my phone to keep track that I don't have more than 4 in one hour. As we were walking out to our car I had a bigger one that stopped me in my tracks. It didn't hurt, but it did take my breath away.

Once we got home I had another one so that was only 10 minutes since the last one. Brian made me go inside put my feet up and drink water while he unloaded the car and got dinner started. I kept having them...more and more. I was started to freak out as 34 weeks 1 day seems WAY too early for any of this. I called the on-call doctor and she said to keep doing what I was doing and try taking a warm bath.

I got off the phone and asked Brian to pre-register us at the hospital (just in case) while I took a bath. At one point my contractions were every 2 minutes for an hour. They finally started to get some space between them, but I was sure we would wind up in the hospital. Once they were 10 minutes a part I fell asleep.

I woke up at 1:15 this morning to go to the bathroom and once I got back in bed Mason didn't move...like at all. I could feel his legs and when I pushed them they moved easily...lifeless. I completely panicked and ran for the doppler. I found his heartbeat right away and after that he started to move, but for a few minutes I was sure he was dead. After that there was no going back to sleep. I stayed awake for an hour or so feeling him move and trying to calm down. I finally went back to bed just before 3am.

So far this morning things seem normal again, but I will be taking it easy. Brian was getting ready for work and just happened to put on the shirt he was wearing the day we lost Addison (it was a Saturday) I asked him to please wear a different one. He was shocked out of all things that I could remember what he was wearing that day, but quickly changed it for me. I am hoping today is an easier day. The only thing I have on my list is to get my hair cut.

Oh and today, March 24th is also the day we found out we were pregnant 2 years ago with Addison...wow. Those two line sure changed our lives FOREVER.

8 comments:

  1. Holy crap, that would scare me also. Glad things are better now but I hate hearing anything that involves my baby and "a few concerns." Ahhh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YIKES! How scary!! My heart was racing while I was reading this post! I'm glad things are better now. Take it easy today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude. I feel like I lived that whole story myself, my friend. Because I did.

    "She tried to explain that they weren't "really" concerned, but because of my history they weren't taking any chances...I felt like she was trying to downplay things as to not freak me out."

    Um, that's the very reason I was induced that early... because I heard this identical quote about 3x during my NSTs that triggered my doctors to say-- get the heck in L&D and get that baby out (and to the NICU, sigh).

    Thinking of you and wishing these days away for you. Get to 38 weeks ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow. I would have lost my mind!! I don't even know what a contraction feels like, I don't think. I was induced w sloane and had a csection w Hayes. But I guess I will know it when I have one? I hope thiings stay normal today. Keep us posted

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, honey, I'm sorry you had such a scare. Thinking of you...

    ReplyDelete
  6. My heart was in my mouth the whole time I was reading (even though you'd said initially that all was ok).... yesterday must have been a nightmare for you. Thinking of you and bub with all my heart xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry for all your stress and worries. I know them all too well. Unfortunately they come with the territory but I know it does make you feel like you're going to go crazy. Rest and don't let the other little things in life get you worked up, just pay attention to you and your baby boy. I had a few times I was sent to the hospital during NST with Emily. Terrified me, no matter how much they reassured me. I was also going to tell you that I was reading one of your posts a while back where you talked about having a NST with Addi just before you lost her. I always have been angry with myself that when I had contractions all day a week before I lost my Addi that I didn't go down and get hooked up. I never had NST with her, the pregnancy never showed signs of problems. But now knowing that it may not have made a difference, I guess that brings me a little peace. So thank YOU for YOUR blog ;) You've brought me comfort as well since I'm on the other side of things now, I can hear how you feel and be like, oh good...I'm NOT crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those moments are so hard but I'm glad your hubby was there with you. He was so smart to ask if the tech was still there! And then the contractions- wow what a day. I didn't have a lot of BH contractions with Mason but I did with Aiden. It sounds like you did exactly what you needed to do and I'm so glad you're little guy is doing just fine. I'm praying these next few weeks fly by for you with as little stress as possible!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete