Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Tuesday Ramblings

Today I am at home in my yoga pants and sweatshirt on the couch...sound lovely?!? It's not and here's why. As far as I know the baby is okay, but my lower back is not. I did nothing, lifted nothing, heard no pop and yet I am in the worst physical pain. It started on Friday where every once in a while it would tense up on me and the pain would shoot down my legs and make them feel weak. It wasn't too often and I pushed through the pain.

Saturday was the same, but slightly more frequent. I also went to my first baby shower post Addison and it was good. It was for a very close friend and she is having a boy so I knew there would be no fluffy pink anything and there wasn't...except for the jerks moms who brought their baby girls. I was hoping seeing some super cute boy things would help get me on the boy bandwagon...it didn't help. I still desperately hope for a sister for Addison. More on that later.

That night we had family pumpkin carving extravaganza. I made my homemade corn chowder that I only make 2-3 times a year and we all carved pumpkins together (my parents, siblings and our significant others). My dad carved his pumpkin to say "Addi" and I have to say that was my favorite one. It was a really nice night and something we will have to do again next year.



Sunday morning I woke up and knew my back was getting worse. By 9 am I was on the couch trying not to move. Brian left for a football party and I thought things would be fine. From 9:30 to 10:30 I tried to get off the couch (tried being the operative word). At 10:30 I finally made it to the floor. I was trying to get to the shower because I thought the water would help my muscles relax. I decided at that point to call my sister. I thought someone should be there if something happened while I was in the shower. I didn't want Brian to miss out on his party because my back was being dumb.

It took me 8 minutes to crawl (on my hands and knees) to the bathroom that is less than 20 feet away. To add to the visual I can tell you that I put my phone in my bra (couldn't carry it) and I was wearing my pj's and robe the dogs were following me and thoroughly confused as to what was happening and why I was on the floor.

Once I made it to the bathroom I couldn't sit upright enough to turn on the light and couldn't get undressed although I did manage to get my robe off. So I got into the tub still on my hands and knees with my clothes on. Alisa showed up about 2 minutes later and turned the light on for me. She also laughed when she saw me in the tub...I laughed too it was seriously ridiculous. There are only a handful of people you want to see you when you are at your worst, she is one of them. She somehow managed to help my to my bed where I stayed for the rest of the day. I was on the verge of tears from the pain. The last thing I wanted was to go to the ER, but it was something I was considering. My head takes me to places so much worse...I was thinking back labor and that things were going very wrong, but as far as I know it is just a back thing.

Monday was better, I could stand and walk (while holding onto things). I dressed myself from the waste up and my sweet husband had to do the rest (talk about feeling useless...it's not fun to be unable to dress yourself). I made it to work and they took one look at me and told me to leave. There is no hiding this kind of pain.

I got to the chiropractor and my back was SO bad he was afraid to work on me. He said it was impressive that I made it from my car to his office and there was a chance adjusting me would actually make things worse (he knows I am pregnant and he knows about Addison) he is taking no chances. He referred me to a physical therapist, but I couldn't get in until Wednesday. He also had me buy a pregnancy support band and it does help a little.

Today I put my pants on by myself, but I still had to have Brian put my socks and shoes on...baby steps. Even though I was moving slightly better today I am still in a lot of pain and can't do anything quickly or bend down...if it gets dropped, it is staying on the floor. I was sent home again and am icing my back as often as possible.

I used the heating pad in the beginning, but I of course worry that I am cooking the baby and I refuse to take any kind of medication so ice it is. I haven't gotten the doppler yet, but I wish I did. I would like some reassurance that this baby is okay. I have been in contact with my doctor's nurse and my next appointment is Friday so that will be good, I hope.

So there are my ramblings. Now maybe my head will clear up enough to write a better post later...maybe.

9 comments:

  1. You poor thing...I hope tomorrow brings you some more relief. There is nothing worse than being sick, hurt, etc. when you are pregnant.

    I will be thinking of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg. so sorry you are in pain! it is so much harder to deal with when you can't take anything, i know. hang in there!! p.s. I laughed at the "phone in the bra" part... don't be mad! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will get on the boy bandwagon if you are having a boy, trust me. While every once in awhile I do still wistfully glance at the girl stuff, since our baby girl died, I can't imagine Lucas being anyone but Lucas. Don't stress about that, it will be okay. :) (But I do recommend finding out so you know what to prepare yourself for.)

    My back hurt really really bad my second pregnancy around 10 weeks too. (I still think it was due to my bad epidural.) It actually was worse in the first trimester than it was when I was 36 weeks pregnant with a 7 lb baby! Hopefully it will get better soon! Take a tylenol if you need it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, no! I'm so sorry you're in so much pain. I hope resting and PT will fix you up. (I know a really good acupuncturist, too, in Oly.) We'll miss seeing you tonight.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry you're in so much pain! That sounds miserable. I hope that the physical therapist is able to help you find some relief.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really hope the physical therapist can help relieve some of your pain, that sounds so miserable:(

    Oh and I love the Addi pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, no - miserable :( I hope the pain subsides really soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You poor thing... can you get a check-up by your family doctor sooner ? Sounds like you're in a looooot of pain... hope it improves soon. Thinking of you xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry you are in pain.....back pain is the worst. I actually asked my doctor about the whole heating pad thing several months ago. She told be to get one with adjustable settings and use it on the lowest setting. I keep it on for about 30 minutes and it usually helps to ease the pain.

    Oh and the pumpkins are just fabulous! Love Addi's!

    ReplyDelete