Monday, July 25, 2011

Practically perfect

I keep starting posts and then not finishing them...we will see if this one gets posted.

This weekend was perfect well practically perfect since nothing is ever going to be perfect again. That may be my new life goal to strive for practically perfect...Mary Poppins really had something there! After a few weeks of 60ish degree weather we got to 80 yesterday! This has been the coldest summer I can remember here in WA.

On Saturday I was supposed to go to a birthday party, but it was several hours away and...here's something weird about me...I don't drive by myself to anywhere more than an hour away from home. I know it's weird. I hate driving and I would never do it if I didn't have to. I get nervous when I don't know where I am and I think that makes a bad driver so I just don't do it. Brian drives when we are together and I usually have family or friends that I can ride with if it's far away. This weekend I didn't have anyone to take me so I didn't go. I'm bummed that I missed it, but the stress I would have felt trying to get there would have been too much for me so I stayed home. There you have it, something weird about me. Go ahead and laugh that I am a wussy driver, but at least I know my limits.

I spent both days at the lake getting some R&R. Yesterday my rent-a-kids came over (their mom lets me borrow them whenever I want, thankfully). They are 8 and 13, but I have watched them since they were born. We took them on the jet ski, on the boat and inner tubing. They were just grinning ear to ear all day long and it gave me so much joy to watch them. The 8 year old was a machine on the tube, she is much more brave than I am. She kept yelling "I love this, I live for this" it was too cute.

I did notice something different than other summers…I worried...a lot. When Brian and my sister would take the kids out on the jet ski I worried, when they fell off the tube I worried, when they were out in the sun for too long...I worried. I really hate to worry, but I just can't help it. I know Brian and my sister are not only careful with them, but seasoned drivers WITH their boater's licenses, but I still would watch and worry when they were out of sight. When I drove I would constantly be watching out for any moron drivers that would get too close. When they fell off the tube I worried other boaters wouldn't see them before we could get back to them and I was putting sunscreen on them every other minute.

While I know we are seasoned lake people I still couldn't help, but worry. I am all too aware that the 1% of the time that things can go wrong that we are not exempt from it. The good news is that everyone had fun and no one got hurt...there was some sun burn though even with all my efforts...can't win 'em all and it wasn't for lack of trying.

I understand that worrying doesn't solve anything, but it does help me feel more prepared in the event something does go wrong. I HATE when people tell me not to worry because if I could just stop, don't you think I would?!? It's not fun for me either.

Other than the worry and of course not having Addison with us this was the perfect weekend, well practically. There was laughing, smiling and fun and it was wonderful.

8 comments:

  1. I am with you, I hate driving if I don't have to.
    I like what you said about people telling you to stop worrying, if you could you would. Isn't that the truth. If only it were easy like flipping a switch.

    Glad you had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that idea of practically perfect. Worth striving for, for sure. Glad you're having some good times, so sorry Addi isn't here for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, sounds like we are on the same page with the worrying these days. Ugh! Serenity now! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTW, love the "practically perfect". I do believe I'll be stealing that one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wasn't quite as bad as you, but I was majorly worried too. All those boats were giving me panic attacks. And when Livy went in the water, if Alex hadn't have been with her I think I would have jumped in after her! Guess this is our new normal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! I worry a lot more now than I used to as well. Sometimes it's almost a blind panic. I guess I feel better knowing I am not alone with that! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am the queen bee when it comes to worrying...absolutely normal part of my make-up these days which I hate!!! SO glad you had a fun weekend at the lake. Keeping busy has made things a little easier for me as well.

    "practically perfect" is a great way to categorize these things...feel like everything has a new definition these days, but considering the circumstances it should. Will be thinking of you this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Worrying...blegh. I have always been a worry wart, we call it a family trait. (That sounds sad!!!) But since our lives have taken the path they have, the worry is different, bigger, heavier. It's like I look back and think about all the things I used to worry about like they weren't/aren't a big deal! I guess worry is just a part of our lives now, another piece that we didn't want, but get to carry anyway. Not to sound like "Debbie Downer," because I don't think it's ALL bad. It's just unfortunate that we can't be the carefree people - not sure I could have been anyway!! :)

    ReplyDelete