Friday, April 1, 2011

April Fools/Telling my family


April 1st is a day that stands out very clear to me. Last year it landed on a Thursday, which most people know is Grey's Anatomy night at my mom's house. I knew my family would be together, so that's the day we decided to tell the family of our pregnancy.

I really didn't want to tell them on April Fools because I wanted them to know I was serious, but I couldn't hold it in any longer. Brian and I were both nervous about telling my parents. I know it sounds weird, we were plenty old enough and married so we were legit, but it was still scary. As much as I knew my parents would be wonderful grandparents, I wasn't sure they were ready for the "grandparent" title. They are both in their early 50's and don’t look like your typical grandparents! I just kept thinking that my mom was 26 and my dad was 27 when I was born and we are both older than that so they couldn't be too mad!

Even though we were only 6 weeks pregnant, we couldn't hold in our secret any longer! Brian and I had gone shopping and put a baby themed Easter basket together for them. I found some dark cellophane and made it so you couldn't see in until it was unwrapped.

The whole ride over I was freaking out...nervous of what their reactions would be. This was it, no going back...they were about to know that Brian and I don't just hold hands! Yikes! Ok...so they probably guessed that since we are married that had taken place, but now it was confirmed! LOL!

My dad was just finishing up an appointment and Brian and I were anxiously waiting for the moment when we could present them with the basket. When my dad was FINALLY finished (ok so we probably only waited 10 minutes for him, but it felt like a lifetime)! We gave them the basket to open. My mom got it almost right away, but it took my dad a second. I think he was in shock!

My mom hugged us right away and seemed happy (for those of you that know my mom know she doesn't show much emotion on the outside so we took it as a good sign)! My dad just kept repeating that he thought we were going to wait another year (keep in mind we had been together for 4 years and married for almost 2 of those). In his mind we were waiting one more year and he had trouble letting it go.

We told both sets of grandparents and they were both thrilled for us. My mom's parents were especially excited because this was not only a baby for us, but their very first great-grandchild!

It didn't take long for my dad to jump on the bandwagon. We told them we were waiting to announce our news to everyone until we heard the heartbeat, but my dad couldn't wait, he was telling EVERYONE! We were ok with it, if it made him excited to tell everyone then we were all for it!

It was the best April Fools without a real fool! I'm still surprised looking back that everyone believed us so quickly.
After 9 months of waiting they were more than ready to be Addi's Grandma Karen and Papa. I am so very thankful for my parents. Not only were they with us the hospital, but they WANTED to be with Addi. They couldn't get enough of her. I can't imagine what it would have been like if they would have been afraid to hold/see her. I will never forget the way they looked at her and held her so close. It was very clear that either of them would have traded places with her if they could have. They love her so unconditionally.

Every time my parents came into the hospital room they both went straight for her. They watched carefully as the nurse bathed her (I think they were making sure she was doing it right). When it was time to dress her they did it together, ever so gently. From her white fluffy butt tights to putting the dress over her head to her little black patten leather shoes my mom had bought for her.

I was in such a haze at that time, but can remember those moments watching them watching her so vividly.

I don't post pictures of our sweet baby girl because I can't stand the thought of even one person being weirded out by seeing a dead baby, but there is one picture where my parents are holding their granddaughter together my mom's hand is shielding her sweet little face. The look on both of their faces is just pure love and one that I feel is appropriate to share.


0 comments:

Post a Comment